Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Year of Pizzas (Nov. 12, 2007)

Pizza is a regular occurrence at our place. Every week, either on Sunday or Friday, Maria and I collaborate to create a pie. I've got to admit that I don't think of them as pies, that term that seems distinctly east coast to this southern boy. This all began about seven years ago with my earnest pursuit of trying to create a great crust. Over time, I learned a few things, and the results of my effort shifted from being doughy monstrosities, to barely manageable soft forms that sometimes collapsed in the process of getting them into the oven (more than a couple became calzones), and finally to what we have today. On smugmug, you can find 52 pictures of the pizzas we made, nearly all from the last 18 months, though with one that significantly predates the rest. This beauty, a fresh fig, leek, fontina and pancetta pizza, was one of the softer varieties, but one that held together, prepared as a course for my uncle and aunt (Rodger [sic] and Betty), visiting from Kansas:

In the process, the oversized and very soft dough resulted in this very rustic look. Among the 52 pictures, you'll find a more recent version of the same thing, done with more competence but less of the chaotic beauty of this first one. Incidentally, we decided to stop taking regular pictures of the pizzas at #52, so you'll only find an occasional update on the smugmug site.

At this point, before going further, I need to acknowledge, more than by name, the contributions of my partner in all of this. Maria is the master (mistress?) of the toppings, assembling amazing combinations of herbs and tomatoes, as well as, frequently, other layers like pesto. The pizzas wouldn't be what they are without her contributions.

After my dogged pursuit of the great crust, I've concluded that having it work right depends on a host of things, including the right ingredients, good "tools," a great oven, and skill with the dough. I'll post my version soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment